Monday, March 18, 2024

Just tending my plant babies ...

 


A couple of weeks ago I started some of my plants for the garden and for my flower beds.  I usually hate the weather this time of year as everything is gray, gloomy and still brown outside. This year those warmer Spring days are coming fast!

Two years ago my wonderful hubby build a growing rack in one of our buildings.  It has racks for flats of seedlings and some grow lights.  We heat that area to about 50 degrees so it works well for starting seeds early when it is still snowing on occasion here in central Iowa!

Flowers are what seem to take the longest to sprout.  I have petunias, coleus and nasturiums started so far. And this week I should add marigolds, holly hocks and dwarf zinnias to the flower plans.  As far as veggies planted early I have started red onions, yellow onions, bell peppers and hot peppers.  Tomato seeds will be planted next week as well as some herbs and squashes.  

I will be busy tending these plant babies indoors until the week before Mother's Day.  At that point I will begin hardening them off with gradual introductions to sun, wind and outdoor temps.  

Our area's predicted last frost date is right around Mother's Day so I will be prepping the garden soil and getting ready to do my transplanting in mid May.  It will be a busy but fun time digging in the dirt!

I will try to occasionally update the flower and garden's progress here in my blog.  I've gardened long enough to know there will be both success stories and failures along the way, so check back to see what's happening down our gravel road!


~ Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment