Thursday, March 7, 2024

Dill pickle stuffed flank steak

 


A favorite recipe from my childhood was what I called "pickle steak"!  Back in the day it was a delicious way to cook a cheaper cut of beef.  Now days I have a difficult time finding flank steak at my local markets but I tried this recipe with a flatiron steak that my local butcher said was similar and the results were delicious!  This photo from the internet shows a version with bacon added as well which I will have to try out next time I cook this up.

Dill Pickle Steak

a flatiron or flank steak
yellow mustard
a jar of dill spears

Score both sides of the steak with a butcher knife and lightly salt and pepper the meat.
Spread one side liberally with yellow mustard.  Place 3-4 dill spears across the meat and roll into a log shape.  Secure with a few tooth picks.

Lay the beef log into a glass baking dish pour some of the pickle juice over the meat.  I like my meat to bake in 1/4 to 1/2 inch of juice.  Cover with foil and bake at 325 for about an hour and a half.  Cut into slices to serve.

I served our steak with a side salad and some crusty bread. YUM!  There were no leftovers!


Happy Eating!

~Connie 



No comments:

Post a Comment