Monday, September 9, 2024

My upcycle and thrifting adventures...


 Do the words vintage, upcycle and thrift excite you like they do me?  I love the history of vintage things.  I love the look and feel of things that can tell a story.  I love traditional handcrafts.  I hate the thought of all the perfectly useable things that get dumped in the landfill each year.  I love a bargain.  I hate new cheap furniture and would rather have an older, well built, solid wood piece of furniture any day.  All these thoughts are reasons why I love to thrift, repurpose and rescue items.  

When I go into town, I always check the two resale shops for unique finds and bargains.  I recently thrifted a whole box of baskets for $5.  There were numerous ones that I plan to use for Christmas decorating and giving as gift baskets.  The one below was broken at the top but I used my crafting skills and supplies to give it new life. 

The top sides of the basket were broken, so I reinforced the broken areas with popsicle sticks, hot glue and zip ties.  I then covered the repaired areas by weaving brown yarn over the repairs.  I think it looks nice and the repair is not even noticeable.  This basket now has a new home in my living room and holds my cozy fall blanket.  I will show more of my upcycled projects in future posts so stay tuned!

~Connie










No comments:

Post a Comment